Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Magic of Walking

“Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and away 
from every illness.” - Soren Kierkegaard


Walking ladyHow can something as simple as walking be considered magical?  For starters, walking is refreshing and rejuvenating.  It’s like hitting the re-set button to re-fuel and re-charge you for what’s next.   
  
Not only is walking physically beneficial, it also inclines you toward optimism and positive expectation.  Even when you start out stubbornly clinging to negative thoughts, each step upon your path moves you another step up the vibrational scale until you once again align with your natural state of Well-Being.  A good walk can click you back into connection with Source and back into the Vortex.  

When possible, I suggest walking by yourself.  Begin walking alone and soon you’ll notice a companion - your Inner Being!  What starts out as merely a walk becomes a moving meditation.  

I’ve had so many intuitive hits on my walks over the years that I now pretty much expect them.  I’ve been guided to topics for articles to write, suggestions to offer clients, the locations of lost items, as well as brilliant answers to a myriad of thorny questions.  It’s as simple as asking, listening for an answer and being willing to trust that the answer will come.  Abraham reminds us that the moment a question occurs, the answer is immediately available as well.    

One particularly stunning awareness occurred to me a few years ago on a walk in the woods of North Carolina.  For an extraordinary few moments, it was crystal clear to me that I am SOURCE and, OF COURSE, I came here to have fun.  I laughed out loud at how completely obvious it was in that moment that WE ARE ALL SOURCE and that we all chose this physical life experience FOR THE FUN OF IT.   

On busy days when I’m tempted to forego my walk, I recall an anecdote about the Dalai Lama.  Rather than abbreviating his morning meditation when his calendar is especially full, he expands it from one hour to two.  Walking is a precious time-out in the midst of your busy day which can act as a mini-vacation to transform body, mind and spirit.  

A brisk walk floods your bloodstream with endorphines - those pleasure-giving, natural mood elevators.  Deep breathing is a lovely natural byproduct and you return home with freshly oxygenated cells as well as a fresh perspective and a higher vibration.     
“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.” 
- Friedrich Nietzsche  


Some of the greatest minds - Dickens, Einstein, Aristotle, Jefferson, Kant, Huxley, Lincoln, Austen, Emerson, Shelley, and Wordsworth -have used walking to stimulate ideas.  
Walt Whitman was a particular fan of walking as evidenced in his poem, Song of the Open Road:  “Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road; healthy, free, the world before me; the long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.”  

A good walk gets your body moving, lifts your spirits and re-energizes you for the next phase of your day.  When you walk, you realize that things really ARE working out after all.  A subtle, imperceptible shift happens and you see circumstances in a softer light; you view yourself and others less harshly.  You return home with more vitality, greater clarity, new insights, peace, calm, ease and flow - and sometimes even profound wisdom.  Walking truly is magical.  Try walking - it’s no pain and all gain!

Law of Attraction Coach KateKate Corbin