From Pace and Kyeli - Freak Revolution
Normal people aren’t going to change the world. They’re too content with the status quo, too interested in not rocking the boat. So who does that leave?
That’s us. Anyone who doesn’t fit into society’s mold. Anyone who doesn’t want to be a cog in the wheel. Misfits, outcasts… world changers.
No violent uprisings.
No protest rallies.
This is a revolution of ideas.
This is a revolution of paradigm shifting - from one of control to one of connection.
We are living in a mass hallucination. Everyone around us thinks it’s normal to hate their lives. It’s normal to fight with their spouses and their children. It’s normal to eat and drink and drug ourselves to escape, to veg out and stare at a screen for hours a day just to dull the pain.
This is not normal at all! It doesn’t have to be this way. We have the power to change the world.
All we need are some trailblazing freaks to lead the way.
Are you one of us?
Help us; we can’t do it alone. Join the revolution.
“If the success or failure of this planet and of human beings depended on how I am and what I do, how would I be? What would I do?” — Buckminster Fuller
Our answer to this very big question, in just one sentence? Shift the paradigm through connection, personal growth, communication, and empowerment.
Our slightly longer answer requires three not-so-easy steps.
Step 1: Become awesomer.
A world full of awesome individuals makes for an awesome world, don’t you think? The best place to start making change is yourself. This will also give you the tools you need to be happy and avoid burnout. Happy world-changers are effective world-changers!
Some ways to become awesomer:
- Get in touch with your spiritual self in whatever way works best for you.
- Learn to be happier.
- Learn to accomplish the things you want to do - and then work on accomplishing them.
- Learn how to better understand others and communicate with them (we wrote a book about that).
Step 2: Build community.
We can’t do it alone; we need each other. We need each other’s ideas and we need each other’s support. We live in a culture of isolation and most of us are lonely - so community is a very good way to change that.
Some ways to build community:
- Connect with like-minded, positive, and supportive people in your area or online (for instance, you can join the Freak Revolution if you feel like we’re your right kind of people).
- Disconnect from incompatible, negative, and unsupportive people in your area and online.
Step 3: Shift the paradigm.
People are miserable because we’re living in a miserable-people-creating factory. To change the world, we need to replace that factory with an awesome-people-creating factory - by shifting the dominant paradigm from a control paradigm to a connection paradigm.
Some ways to shift the paradigm:
- Opt-out of a control paradigm system, like TV, politics, fearmongering mass media, or public school.
- Get in lots of people’s monkeyspheres.
- Be fearlessly yourself.
Yes, it’s a big plan - when aiming to change the world, little plans don’t cut it.
Don’t worry; you’re not alone! We’re all in this together.
Why We Don't Understand Each Other and 34 Ways to Make It Better
We’re giving this e-book away for free, one chapter per week. Since there are 34 chapters, the entire e-book won’t be available for free until September 2009. If you don’t want to wait that long, you can buy it right now in PDF format. Click here for details.
Table of Contents
- Part I: Communication Dynamics
- 1: The usual error
- 2: Different communication styles
- 3: Different personality types
- 4: The other half of communication
- 5: Checking in
- 6: I already know this, but I need to hear you say it again
- 7: What problem are you trying to solve?
- 8: Feeling considered
- Part II: Boundaries
- 9: Holding healthy boundaries
- 10: Fierceness
- 11: Ask for what you need
- 12: I am not green
- 13: “I” statements
- 14: It’s not all about me
- Part III: Turning Conflict into Communication
- 15: What did you intend?
- 16: The next time I ask for $1000, just give me a veggie burger instead!
- 17: We’re on the same team
- 18: Coming to terms
- 19: Meta-communication
- 20: Memory
- 21: Trust your future self
- 22: Giving permission to disappoint
- Part IV: Conflict Resolution
- 23: The only way out is through
- 24: The William James zone
- 25: The lollipop
- 26: What do I get out of being right?
- 27: Reflection
- 28: Verbal aikido
- Part V: Positivity!
- 29: “That makes me really happy!”
- 30: It’s okay to have problems
- 31: Knowing is half the battle
- 32: Rephrasing things positively
- 33: Teasing
- 34: Endings