Download the PDF for free
1. Nourish My SpiritWhat things give me the greatest joy?
What makes me feel fulfilled, useful?
When do I feel least joyful, least fulfilled?
2. Put My Money Where My Values AreDo I spend money on things that don’t bring me joy?
Can I find less expensive ways to travel, exercise, entertain?
3. Build Relationships and Support My CommunityWhat can I share?
What skills, services, products can I offer others?
What opportunities do I have to barter and allow more people to operate outside the cash economy?
Where can I connect with my community to create a safety net for myself and others?
4. Say Enough is EnoughHow much do I need to meet basic needs?
How much do I need beyond that to be happy?
Can I meet any of those needs without spending money?
5. Decide How Much Job I Really NeedCan I work fewer hours?
Can I share my job with someone else?
Do I have enough freedom to make the job I’ve always wanted?
- More articles from New Livelihoods, the Fall 2011 issue of YES!
- Less Work, More Living
Working fewer hours could save our economy, save our sanity, and help save our planet.
- Need a Job? Create Your Own
Meet five entrepreneurs who said no to corporate jobs.
- Who's Building the Do-It-Ourselves Economy?
Corporations aren’t hiring, and Washington is gridlocked. Here’s how we take charge of our own livelihoods.