Call for Applications Now Open!
Sustainable Agriculture and the World Food System
Switzerland, 11-25 August 2013
The question of how to feed the world, while considering human health, the environment and social wellbeing is one of the defining challenges of our time.
The next generation of decision makers must take the lead in building sustainable food systems. If you want to be one of these leaders, join the World Food System Center‘s 2013 summer school in Switzerland.
- Live, work, and learn on a pioneering organic farm during the harvest season.
- Discuss challenges, opportunities, and innovations in food value chains, in a global context, with leading research institutes, industry partners, and civil society associations.
- Critically reflect on different food production and distribution systems with like-minded, motivated students from around the world.
- Learn how to apply systemic perspectives to food system challenges.
- Exchange ideas and work on case studies to address contemporary challenges of the World Food System as part of an international, interdisciplinary team.
This immersive learning experience integrates: lectures, group work, case studies, workshops, excursions, art and creativity, and includes guest speakers and evening social and cultural activities. Each day participants will have the chance to do hands on work on the farm.
Committed students who are enrolled or recently graduated from university are encouraged to apply.
Applicants should have a strong interest in food systems and challenges, inter- and transdisciplinary research, agriculture and food production and can demonstrate their motivation, interest, and expertise.
The 2 week long course will take place between August 11th and 25th 2013 in Switzerland. The detailed program will be made available at a later date.
The ETH Zurich accredits successful completion of the course with 4 ECTS credit points. Acceptance of these ETCS points in non-ETH study programs is subject to the regulations of the participant‘s home institution.
The course fee of 500 Swiss Francs per student covers cost for board, lodging, local travel, and activities during the program, all of which are arranged by the course organizers. Participants are responsible for paying and arranging their own transportation to and from Zurich, Switzerland.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online including curriculum vitae and letter of motivation as portable document format (pdf).