The Habitable Planet is a multimedia course for high school teachers and adult learners interested in studying environmental science. The Web site provides access to course content and activities developed by leading scientists and researchers in the field.
Content By Type
- Online TextbookDownload PDF files of the Online Textbook
- VideoWatch 13 course videos
- Interactive Labs5 simulations and accompanying activities
- VisualsAll images and animations from the course
- ScientistsScientists who contributed to this course
- Professional Development GuideDownload PDF files of the companion Guide
- GlossaryDefinitions of selected vocabulary from textbook
Content By Unit
Online Textbook PDFs
The online textbook provides a background to understand and discuss the natural functioning of the different Earth systems; it introduces humans as part of the overall ecosystem and explores what is needed to sustain human life; and it looks at the effects that human actions have on different natural systems. The online textbook also includes full-color images of related figures, glossary terms, and a bibliography for further reading.
Click on the unit titles in the menu to the left to view the Web version of the online textbook, which includes links to related material; or download PDF versions of the chapters below.